BSOA was commissioned in 2011 with the extraordonary honor of returning the Auglaize County Courthouse in Wapakoneta, Ohio to it's original 1894 decorative paint scheme.
Conservator windows were first performed to uncover stencil patterns, decorative elements and primary paint colors throughout the building. In all, seven ornate multi-colored cove and freize stencils were replicated via hand-cut stencils. The cove stencils in both the Common Pleas Court and Municipal Court Rooms, pictured right, span five feet before they repeat. Sixteen columns, the double staircase and second floor balustrades are faux marbled using historical colors found in the investigative study.
Returning to Original Splendor:
Auglaize County Courthouse ~ Wapakoneta, OH
View of Central Tower Upper Wall
The pressed tin wainscot in both courtrooms are faux woodgrained to compliment the rich mahogany woodwork found throughout the building.
Included with the decorative paint restoration, six resident murals were cleaned, in-fil painted and the frames returned to their original color and enhanced with metallic gold highlights.
Directed by Garmann Miller & Assoc. in Minster, BSOA applied all stencils and faux finishes over Brian Brothers, of Piqua, primers and base color painting.
Newel posts & spindles are faux marbled and the stair stringers are faux woodgrained